Gay Garcia was a sculptor, painter and printmaker born January 15, 1928 in Santiago de Cuba. He studied painting and sculpture at the National Academy of Fine Arts in San Alejandro between 1950 and 1955, until 1957 at the Polytechnic Institute in Mexico, and in 1963 at the Art Institute of Venice and at the University of Perugia, Italy.
He lived in Miami where he exhibited in numerous galleries and museums. UNESCO awarded him a prize in 1962 and the CINTA Foundation awarded him a scholarship in 1983.
Gay García is considered one of the most important representatives of Cuban sculpture. As a painter, his work follows the line of gestural abstraction.
His work can be found in the permanent collections of the Lowe Art Museum at the University of Miami, the National Museum of Fine Arts in Havana, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Latin America in Washington and in the Public Library of Miami-Dade and the Vermont Academy, among others.